Gold Repeating Chronometer no. 15782
Case: Yellow gold, hunting, winding by the cover, polychrome enamel "ABC" monogram to the cover, huinged cuvette signed "Mon. B. Haas Jne. Paris & Genève and engraved Remontoir Perpetuel à décrochement Breveté, Exposition de Chicago 1893".
Dial: White enamel
Movement: Stamped with Geneva seal.
1893 - Haas Neveux, Geneva
2004 - Christie's 18 May 2004, est CHF 15-20,000, sold CHF 16,730, "Haas. A fine, rare and heavy 18K gold and enamel hunter case quarter repeating perpetual calendar watch with phases of the moon and Haas patented cover winding system
Signed B. Haas Jne., Paris & Genève, no. 15782, circa 1895
With nickel-finished fully jewelled lever movement stamped twice with the Geneva seal, wound by opening and closing the cover, bimetallic compensation balance, repeating on two polished steel hammers onto two gongs, gold cuvette, the white enamel dial with Roman numerals, outer gilt Arabic five minute divisions, gold spade hands, four subsidiary dials indicating month combined with leap year indicator, day combined with constant seconds, date and phases of the moon combined with lunar calendar, in circular engine-turned case, the back centred by an engraved floral-form cartouche, the front with an inlaid translucent white, blue and red enamel monogram BCA, repeating slide in the band, case stamped BHJ.Co G and numbered 15782, the cuvette signed Mon. B. Haas Jne. Paris & Genève and engraved Remontoir Perpetuel à décrochement Breveté, Exposition de Chicago 1893
58 mm. diam.
Artist or Maker: SIGNED B. HAAS JNE., PARIS & GENÈVE, NO. 15782, CIRCA 1895
Notes: Haas & Cie. was founded by Leopold and Benjamin Haas in 1848 and manufactured from the beginning small series of gold or platinum watches featuring the classical complications such as perpetual calendars, quarter repeaters, chronographs and split-second chronographs.
Over the years, new family members joined the company and consequently it was renamed to Haas Neveux & Cie. in 1884. In the same year, Haas launched a highly innovative pocket watch whose movement was wound by opening and closing of the cover. This mechanism was further developed and patented and presented at the 1893 Chicago World Exhibition.
A further asset of this watch is its movement, stamped twice with the Geneva seal. This hallmark certifies that it conforms to the highest official standard of traditional Geneva watch making and consequently stands for workmanship of outstanding quality.
It was introduced by the State of Geneva in 1886 in order to provide a guarantee of the origin and the craftsmanship of clocks and watches made in Geneva. The criteria includes 12 technical absolute requirements related to the manufacturing of the movement. Only manual and self-winding mechanical movements can be awarded the Geneva Seal. "